Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Illness of Time...

In 1997, I decided to study A Level Art and Design. Part of the course requirement was a project; I chose to study the life and art of Christopher Wood. You can read the project by clicking here. I put it on my web site so that it may help students who are studying the same subject. I did get an email once from someone who was glad to have found it as she was studying Christopher Wood for her exams. Mission accomplished!
I really became completely engrossed in the study of this artist; as the story unfurled, I knew that I had chosen one of the most fascinating subjects. Wood lived a very short, tragic, yet fascinating life, punctuated by his paintings, which perfectly depicted his innocence and naivety.
I chose to show you this painting, "Boat in Harbour" because it was found in Wood's studio after his death and as you can see, the girls in the foreground look rather ghostly and this is because they haven't been painted. Wood must have been working on this picture just before he died and sadly, just as he didn't get the chance to complete the picture, he didn't get the chance to experience the success he deserved in his lifetime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home